Franz Josef Heli-Hike
On all of our summer South Island trips you'll have the option of adding a heli-hike to your trip - you'll need to let us know at least 30 days in advance as it's very popular (by ticking the box on your online booking information page once you've confirmed your trip with us). This is a 4 hour package including a return scenic helicopter flight to the upper part of the Franz Josef glacier and a 2 hour hike amongst crevasses and ice-caves. You don't need any ice-hiking experience or equipment to do this!
- Scenic helicopter flight to Franz Josef icefall
- Glacier landing and pickup
- Approx 2 hour hike amongst glacial ice formations
- Professional and experienced guides
- All equipment provided (glacier boots, socks, ice crampons, waterproof jacket and pants)
What to bring
- Warm upper body clothing (preferably 3 to 4 layers)
- Leggings or light trousers, although shorts are acceptable
- Waterproof jacket (one will be provided if you don't have one)
- As always, a sense of fun and adventure!