Bikes we use here in NZ
We have selected high quality bikes to suit the varied terrain we cover – we wouldn’t make you ride anything we wouldn’t use ourselves! For more serious mountain biking and gravel roads we use 650B Specialized Pitches with an A1 Premium Alluminum Frame, Tektro Aries disk brakes and Suntour front forks. On trips where we cover paved roads and gravel, we use the Scott Sportster, an excellent lightweight, cross-terrain touring bike with great flexibility. As many cyclists prefer the familiarity of their own bikes, you’re also welcome to bring your own ride and we will help you assemble it at the start of the trip. It goes without saying that our staff are seasoned bike mechanics, so we’ll deal with any minor issues you may have as we go. Our biking guides are seasoned riders who excel at helping people get the most out of their cycling vacation, looking after anyone from a competitive racer to a casual holiday cyclist, and keeping your bike in tip-top shape.
We have a variety of frame sizes available, and if you have specific requirements please let us know in advance. Of course, we also supply cycle helmets, safety vests, rear pannier racks and bike computers. We are perhaps a little more safety oriented than most – we work very hard to ensure all our cycling clients are safe, warm and happy, and you’ll find our safety equipment is second to none. We don’t go overboard – we just do everything within reason to ensure that you go home from your New Zealand cycle trip in better shape than when you arrived!
Scott Sportster ('Weka' trip):
- Frame: Sportster Alloy / 6061 Double Butted / Unisex geometry / Internal Cable Routing / SCOTT Urban Kit ready
- Fork: Suntour NE X Susp.fork 1 1/8” 63mm travel
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus RD-M370 24 Speed
- Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-M191 / 34.9mm
- Shifters: Shimano ST-EF 51 L / 8R EZ-fire plus
- Brakes: Shimano BR-M375L Mech. Disc 160F/160R mm SM-RT 30 CL Rotor
- Pedals: Wellgo C 127 S
- Seat Post: Alloy 31.6mm
- Seat: Sportster Men EVO
Specialized Pitch 650B (Other NZ trips):
- Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum, Sport Trail 650b Geometry, butted tubesets, externally relieved headtube, forged dropouts w/ reinforced disc mount, replaceable alloy derailleur hanger
- SR Suntour XCT 650b, alloy lower, coil/MCU spring, Hi-Ten 28mm stanchions/1-1/8" steerer, preload adj., disc mount, size-specific 80/100mm travel
- Specialized Body Geometry mountain saddle is tuned for trail performance
- Shimano Altus 8-speed rear derailleur for shifting precision
- Forged alloy, square taper spindle, w/ chainguard Crankset
- Tektro Aries, mechanical disc brakes for reliable stopping power
Specialized Rockhopper 27.5" & 29" (Queen Charlotte Track):
- Specialized A1 SL Aluminum, Trail 29 Geometry, fully-butted tube sets, ORE down tube, tapered head tube, forged dropouts, disc mount, replaceable derailleur hanger
- Custom SR Suntour XCR-AIR 29, air spring, S: 80mm travel, M/L/XL: 100mm travel, integrated remote hydraulic lockout w/ rebound adjust, preload adjust, tapered alloy steerer, mag lowers, Hi-Ten 32mm stanchions, disc mount
- Specialized Body Geometry XC Contour, Kraton w/ gel, lock-on, closed end
- Shimano Deore Shadow, 10-speed
- Specialized Stout XC, 2x10, 2 pc., 24mm spindle, 36/22T, anti-corrosion hardware
- Tektro Gemini, hydraulic disc, resin pads, I-spec compatible
Weka New Zealand Biking Adventure
- 13 Days
- US$4,999 + tax
Our ‘Weka’ trip combines the very best of New Zealand’s cycling and hiking trails into an action-packed two week adventure. We’re keen bikers here at Active, so we wanted to create the ‘dream itinerary’ for fellow biking enthusiasts! We’ve escaped the traffic by choosing private roads and wide, smooth cycling trails. There’s plenty of flexibility and freedom if you want to ride a little further or a little less, we’ve got you covered! Our new ‘Weka’ trip will suit both road cyclists and mountain bikers alike.
Activity level: The ‘Weka’ is an active cycling and hiking trip, so it’s important that you have a base level of biking and hiking fitness. You don’t have to be young or ready to take on the Tour de France (although if you are super fit and raring to go, you won’t be bored), but you should be in the habit of doing at least some riding and be comfortable in the saddle..
Rimu Ultimate South Island Adventure
- 14 Days
- US$4,999 + tax
This is our signature adventure and a great, outdoorsy way to see New Zealand. We’ve been fine-tuning this perennial favourite since 1996 and it’s simply an awesome trip. You’ll explore the most beautiful, famous and little-known places in the South Island – up close and personal – with legendary hospitality and our unsurpassed attention to detail. For a great way to see the North Island too, combine this trip with our 11-day 'Kauri' (5-day 'Kauri' options available).
Activity level: The ‘Rimu’ is one of our more adventurous trips, but has options to suit a wide range of ages and outdoor experience. Typically, hikes on the ‘Rimu’ trip range between two and five hours to complete, with longer hikes available on the multi-day option. If you think you’d prefer a more relaxed pace and shorter one to three hour hikes, we recommend checking out our ‘Kiwi’ trip. Please get in touch with us if you’d like to chat about the various options.
Kauri Ultimate North Island Adventure
- 11 Days
- US$4,499 + tax
You'll be amazed by the variety of adventures and stunning scenery as we share the iconic locations and best-kept secrets of the North Island. The perfect addition to any of our South Island trips, the year-round 'Kauri' explores the sub-tropical north, a marine reserve, white sandy beaches, unique volcanic terrain, geothermal areas, Maori culture, an underground cave system and arguably the best mountain day-hike in New Zealand. For a great way to see the rest of New Zealand, combine this trip with any of our South Island trips.
Activity level: The 'Kauri' suits people of a wide range of fitness levels and outdoor experience. Typically, activities on the 'Kauri' trip range between two and five hours to complete. The Tongariro Alpine Crossing hike can take a little longer, though there are shorter alternatives available.
Tui Essence of the South Island
- 8 Days
- US$3,799 + tax
This is an action-packed adventure where you’ll hike, bike, kayak, fly and jet boat in some of New Zealand’s most iconic and remote wilderness. It works well if your vacation time is limited, since you can fly from North America on a Friday evening, sleep on the plane, and be back at work ten days later to share your photos and stories on Monday morning. For a great way to see the North Island too, combine this trip with our 11-day 'Kauri' (5-day 'Kauri' options available).
Activity level: The ‘Tui’ suits people of a wide range of fitness levels and outdoor experience, particularly if you enjoy a variety of activities. Typically hikes on the ‘Tui’ trip range between two and six hours to complete.
Winter Rimu New Zealand Winter Adventure
- 14 Days
- US$4,399 + tax
May to September is one of the best times to explore New Zealand. Our maritime climate ensures we have relatively mild winters, we’ll almost always have the tracks to ourselves and the snow-capped mountains make an even more dramatic backdrop than in summer – and usually you can get a great deal on flights! Years ago, we adapted our signature Rimu trip to suit the cooler conditions by adding skiing and snowboarding options, along with some of the South Island’s best hikes. This adventure is the perfect excuse to escape the heat!
Activity level: This is one of our more adventurous trips, but has options to suit a range of fitness levels and outdoor experience. Typically hikes on the ‘Winter Rimu’ range between three and six hours to complete, with a longer more challenging hike on the Copland Track.