So many activities packed into just 11 days …
- Kayak, dive or snorkel Poor Knights Islands
- Hike Northland coastline, Cape Brett, Puketi Forest, Waipoua Forest, Mt Auckland, Mt Te Aroha, by Lake Okataina, Rainbow Mountain, alongside Huka Falls and Tongariro Alpine Crossing
- Mountain bike Whakarewarewa Forest
- Black-water raft Waitomo Caves
Diverse landscapes …
- Towering stands of ancient Kauri forests
- Acres of rolling green farmland dotted with sheep and cattle (and hobbits)
- Arid volcanic terrain with emerald lakes and bubbling geysers
- Sandy white beaches and looming sand dunes
- Deep rivers criss-crossing the Central Plateau
- Hundreds of unspoilt islands in the Bay of Islands and Hauraki Gulf
- Lush, sub-tropical forest filled with ferns and native punga
Unique Maori culture …
- Hike to Ruapekapeka Pa, the site of the final battle in the ‘War of the North’ fought between British colonial forces and northern Maori
- Visit Waitangi Treaty Grounds, New Zealand’s most significant historical site and learn about the momentous events that shaped our nation
- Enjoy a cultural performance by the Ngati Rongomai tribe and share a traditional feast, known as a ‘hangi’, prepared by wrapping food and burying it in the earth to cook over hot stones. Yum!
Building on a legacy …
- In 2013, National Geographic Traveler named our 5-day Essence of the North Island ‘Kauri’ in their 50 Tours of a Lifetime
- By extending this award-winning trip, we’re adding to it’s awesomeness!
Buddy up our Ultimate North Island Adventure Kauri …
- Join the Kauri with the Ultimate South Island Adventure ‘Rimu’ for an Ultimate New Zealand experience
- There are options to suit any length of vacation: 14-day ‘Rimu’ with 11-day ‘Kauri’, 14-day ‘Rimu’ with 5-day ‘Kauri’, 8-day ‘Tui’ with 11-day ‘Kauri’ … you get the picture!
- Check out Active Adventures’ full selection of hand-crafted New Zealand adventures for more inspiration